Fountain of Justice in Frankfurt. 2007.
"The goddess Justitia, who adorns the Fountain of Justice (Gerechtigkeitsbrunnen) on the Römerberg, sees many things, and she herself appears in countless tourist photos and wedding pictures. The first Fountain of Justice in front of the Römer was inaugurated in 1543 – a monument to the city’s self-image. In 1611, the sculptor Johann Hocheisen created the current eight-cornered fountain and the figure from red sandstone. It is the oldest fountain in Frankfurt. Since the coronation of Emperor Matthias in 1612, water has flowed from the breasts of 4 water nymphs on the corners of the statue’s pedestal as a symbol of fertility. At the coronation celebration, wine flowed from the fountain, and residents of the city crowded around it so boisterously in their enthusiasm that a first reconstruction was required immediately. After the Thirty Years War and again in the 19th century, the fountain and the statue needed to be replaced. In 1863, local poet Friedrich Stoltze wrote of the sculpture’s lamentable condition: “This is the Lady of Justice! She looks like something terrible; the scales are gone, the goddess is wretched, and, devil take it, she’s missing half an arm.” The current Justitia, which is made of bronze, was funded by a Frankfurt wine merchant. Her eyes are not bound, and she holds up scales and a sword. She is in excellent condition. Here, at the Fountain of Justice, the midpoint of the city centre, people from Frankfurt and visitors from all over the world meet and make plans." - City of Frankfurt